Doing Life Story work with children in care
We use Life Story work as a process to gather, explore and examine as well as record information about a child or young person’s family and life journey. This can help them develop a confident sense of their own identity. This training will cover not just the collection of stories of the child since entering care but also discuss how we talk to children about their story.
Some aspects we will cover in this training are:
- Helping a child examine and develop their self image
- Enabling carers to share in the story and increase their understanding of the personal life journey of the child or young person
- Life Story Work and how it is helpful to develop a relationship between the child and the carer
- Helping birth parents to contribute to the ‘information bank’ life story work
- Learn how to use the rich heritage and culture in life story work.
- Discuss what is therapeutic life story work
* Childcare is available upon request...you'll be contacted for the first name and age of the child/ren. Carers are asked to bring some toys/activities and appropriate food for their children on the day
* A light lunch and refreshments will be provided at this Free Training course.