The Online Lounge Room @ 8PM
The Online Lounge Room is a space for you to connect and share with other carers from the comfort of your own home.
If you have ever felt like you are constantly in a negative frame of mind towards any child in your care, you may just have entered ‘blocked care’. Because parenting is such a demanding, emotionally meaningful process, we can sometimes take a child’s reaction personally. When we supress the pain of rejection we also supress our capacity for empathy and love and the ability to subjectively care about the child - the very thing that can help them heal.
When you are used to being trusted and making people feel safe in your presence, it is easy to be blindsided by a child’s intensely negative reaction to your love. This session is hosted by Kylie Anderson, a carer and member of the My Forever Family NSW Carer Support Team. Kylie draws on her personal experience and uses Dr Dan Hughes, PACE model to explore the state of ‘blocked trust’ children who have a trauma history and how it can lead to a carers state of ‘blocked care’.
Date: Thurday 19 November | Time: 8pm to 8:40pm
Register using the button below then on the day, grab a cuppa and login with the link we send you.
- The Online Lounge Room sessions are an open forum where discussion, questions, comments, and the sharing of experiences is encouraged
- Registrations are limited to authorised foster carers, relative and kinship carers, guardians and adoptive parents in NSW.
- Online Lounge Room sessions are strictly limited to 20 carers to ensure you have time to share and ask any questions you may have
- Online Lounge Rooms are conducted via Zoom and can be accessed by a computer, tablet or smartphone, or via audio only using a landline or mobile phone.
- If you have any questions, please contact our Carer Support Team on 1300 782 975 during business hours or email firstname.lastname@example.org at any time
Once you register, you will receive an email with further information including login details. If you do not receive this information within an hour of registering, please check your junk mailbox.
If, after registering, you are no longer able to attend, please contact us to let us know so that your place can be made available to another carer.
* The Online Lounge Room is an initiative of Adopt Change Limited.