Trauma Informed Parenting
Children who have experienced relational trauma and traumatic events need to feel safe, nurtured and accepted. As carers and parents we want to provide this home environment to the children we live with but we often find the habitual parenting practices that we have developed or that may work with securely attached children don’t yet work with the child who has experienced trauma.
This session will be an exploration of Trauma Informed Parenting approaches that can help us to understand and appreciate the impact of trauma on children and adjust our parenting, discipline, routines and expectation to respond to their needs in a more trauma sensitive way. Just as we are learning new parental approaches, so too are the children learning new relational and regulation approaches. With learning and new skills we need time, patience, compassion and lots of practice.
About Gail Johnston:
Gail Johnston is a psychologist who works with children, families and adults who have experienced trauma. She has worked extensively in the areas of child protection, childhood trauma and attachment issues. Gail provides training and consulting services in these areas for Community Services, Department of Human Services and other non-Government agencies supporting children and families.
Gail has a passion for supporting children who can no longer live with their biological families as a result of abuse and neglect and to facilitating their recovery and connection to their foster and adoptive families.
- My Forever Family NSW training sessions are FREE to all carers in NSW and, where we have space, agency staff
- Places are limited and registrations will close once all places are filled
- Certificates will be emailed to you by My Forever Family NSW after completion of the course.
- After registration, you will receive an email with further information including venue details. If you do not receive these details before the event please check your junk mail first.
- If, after registering, you can no longer attend training, please contact us to let us know so that your place can be made available to another carer.
My Forever Family NSW
Phone: 1300 782 975